FIND A LOCATION
There's one near you!
Find a Western Union location near you in Hong Kong.
More Western Union sites!
QUESTIONS? Please Contact Us!
|2117 9088||(for calls within Hong Kong)|
|+852 2117 9088||(for calls from overseas)|
PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST FRAUD
Western Union provides a fast, convenient and reliable way to send and receive money. However, you are advised to send money to ONLY those whom you trust.
Keep the following tips in mind:
- Never send money to strangers using a money transfer service.
- Beware of deals or opportunities that seem too-good-to-be-true.
- Exercise caution when paying for online auction purchases with money transfer services.
- Never send money to pay for taxes or fees on foreign lottery winnings.
Fraudsters are constantly coming up with new ways to get to your hard-earned money. Read more about some common scams here.
- Beware of Up-front Payments
- Buyer Beware
- "Dream" Job Only a Dream?
- When Easy Money Isn't Easy
- They've Found Your Dog
- Millions Waiting to be Shared
- It's No Accident
- Watch Out for Lottery Fraud
Protect yourself. Use these tips against frauds.
Be cautious if:
- You receive a too-good-to-be-true offer. For example, an expensive product at a cheap price.
- You are the winning bid in an online auction. The seller only accepts payment via money transfer.
- You are told that you won a lottery/prize. You have to pay taxes before you can collect your winnings.
- Someone responds to your ad saying that they have found the things that you lost and are claiming the shipping/reward costs.
- You have sold something, but received a cheque that is more than the amount asked. You are then requested to send back the extra amount by money transfer. .
- You are offered a low-cost loan, but first you must pay the fees or the first few payments via money transfer.
- You receive a call from someone claiming to be the police or a hospital employee asking for money for the bail or treatment of a loved one.
- Know the person whom you are sending money to.
- Buy goods and services from trusted sources.
- Avoid paying for online auctions via money transfer.
- Exercise higher caution when buying or selling expensive items from someone outside the country.
- Discontinue any transaction if someone coaches you on ways to respond to questions asked by Western Union. It is a sure sign of a fraud.
- Contact the police immediately if you think you are being scammed.
- We are a great way to send money to those that you trust, but not to someone that you do not know.
- We do not provide escrow services and we are not responsible for the quality or the non-receipt of any goods or services
- Sending money with a fictitious name will not protect you when dealing with strangers. Do not do it.
- Where available, the 'Test Question' service is designed for emergency situations where the recipient does not have proper identification. It is not a security feature.
- If an offer sounds too good, it probably is.
Stay informed about frauds! Good sources of information include:
- The newspapers
- The Hong Kong Police